GetSetUp Partners With Michigan Department Of Health And Human Services
What is GetSetUp?
The largest online virtual learning community customized for older adults. All classes are taught by older adults in small groups to ensure everyone can actively participate. We help older adults stay mentally and physically fit. We create economic opportunities through jobs and re-skilling or upskilling on technology skills. We create a community where people find meaning and purpose by helping each other and forming new connections.
Michigan came to GetSetUp because they have over 2.4 million adults aged 60+ residing in Michigan (24% of MI). About 41% of these older adults are living alone and this population is expected to peak in 2034 at 2.9 million with the 85+ population in Michigan being the fastest-growing age group. Michigan was looking for ways to connect this population who are spread across a diverse geography, face many weather challenges, and often register as the highest in the state in social isolation.
To address the public health crisis of social isolation across all areas of the state equally, Michigan had 3 essential questions to answer.
- How do we help older adults connect with others to reduce social isolation?
- How do we help older adults use available technology to access services?
- Is there a platform designed for older adults to help teach in a way that is meaningful and helpful?
GetSetUp’s platform which was built specifically for older adults and is continuously customized based on their feedback. Over 10 hours a day of live interactive classes. Learners can always join a class.
1.2M older adults with devices and internet access, 80K on GetSetUp in 6 months.Join A GetSetUp
Overcame Hurdles By
Outreach includes TV ads, mail out pamphlets, and continual press and discussions with key groups in order to form key partnerships for awareness.
The Results And Benefits
- Help older adults overcome fears and reluctance to learning tech
- Provide socialization opportunities for older adults
- Reduce loneliness and isolation
- Sense of purpose through learning
- Mood improvement and often improved mental health
- Increase in self-worth and perceptions through community
- Offer fun learning opportunities on a variety of topics
- Connect with others to create and share
- Up-skill and re-skill learners for new job opportunities
- Classes helping older adults enhance their small businesses
- Physical health benefits for those attending exercise and health focused classes
- Opportunities for increased healthy habits thanks to lectures, insights, and classes to improve cooking and learn to live with illnesses