Just because you *are* at home doesn’t mean you have to feel *stuck* at home!
GetSetUp wants to make the most of the time you spend in your home. Our Make The Most Of At Home Mini-guides will walk you through different ways to get the most out of your time at home. Whether you are at home due to winter weather, the pandemic, health reasons, or something else you can use this time to explore!
This is the second of a collection of our mini-guides with ways for you to explore, share, and learn right from your own home.
Need some tips for keeping up the holiday cheer? No worries we have a number of great ideas right here in our Holiday Connections mini-guide. These are great opportunities for you to flaunt your holiday spirit and bring out the cheer as the end of the year fast approaches.
Make the Connection
This time of year is the perfect time to reach out to people who you haven’t talked to in a while. Rekindle a connection or stay in touch with friends and family. Everyone loves to hear from someone they care about!
- Call a friend - Sure you can call on the phone but why not use Facetime or Zoom to actually see them! Enjoy a meal together or a fun happy hour. Need help getting set up on Zoom? Try a class on Scheduling and Hosting a Zoom this holiday season.
- Write a friend - We all love to get letters and cards. It may not be the only form of communication these days but it sure shows you went the extra mile. If you are looking to spice up your cards this season try a class on Holiday Creating Cards And Invitations.
- Social Distance Chat - If you have a yard or a safe space for social distancing, take your mask and a warm drink out to the lawn. Invite a friend or neighbor to chat across a safe socially distanced space. If it’s cold in your area add a bonfire if allowed!
- Adopt a Pet - If you aren’t so into socializing or it isn’t in your comfort zone at the moment consider adopting a pet. Lots of animals need a home at your local Humane Society. If you have the resources to afford a furry friend this winter might be the time to enjoy the companionship of these fun fur-balls.
Bring the holidays home! It doesn’t matter what holidays you are celebrating at this time of year consider fun ways to keep the spirit alive.
- Decorate - Hang up lights and put out the winter decorations! Let others enjoy as they pass by, or go out and celebrate seeing other's lights and decorations. Let the light in with the holiday spirit.
- Holiday Recipes - It’s that time of the season when the holiday recipes come out. Bring yours out and start making them or consider swapping with friends and family. Want some new recipes on your list this year? Join the Holiday Recipe Swap.
- Sing Your Holiday Spirit - Remember the holiday tunes of your youth? Dust off those CDs or make a holiday playlist to keep in the background this time of year. Need help getting your holiday playlist off the ground? Learn more about creating playlists in a class.
- Watch a Holiday Special - There are lots of great holiday movies being hosted by different TV channels. Check out the schedule and pick one of your favorites! If holiday films aren’t your thing usually there is also seems to be Law and Order on all the time during the holiday season catch up on your favorite crime-fighting team. Though for those of you more into the classics check out The Nutcracker ballet will be streaming and offer drive-in style events in some places or you can see from the past years on Youtube The Nutcracker New York City Ballet, 1993 or The Nutcracker Ballet (FULL CONCERT).
Spread the Cheer
Share the holidays with others. It doesn’t matter if you can be with them or need to drop something at a doorstep there are many ways to share in the holiday cheer from a distance.
- Bake Holiday Cookies - Whether you can spread the spirit and share the cookies as a nice gift for friends or neighbors, or enjoy nibbling on them yourself over the holidays, break out those holiday cookie recipes and start baking! Need new cookie recipes? Check out the Baking Cookies To Enjoy And Gift.
- Gift Exchange - Consider setting up a gift exchange with family or friends. You don’t have to be together to send surprises you can order online and mail them directly to the person. Need support with online shopping? Consider Holiday Shopping and Shows Amazon Prime Tips.
- Give To Those With Less - If you can spare this holiday season consider giving to those with less. That can be a monetary donation to a charity of your choice, or donate useful things to the Salvation Army near you. You can even schedule a pick up where people come and get items you are willing to donate. Another great idea is to put a smile on a child’s face with a donation of a toy for a child who needs one.
- Bring Out Holiday Drinks - What is your holiday drink of choice? Find one you love or try one of these simple homemade recipes for Hot Chocolate, Eggnog, Apple Cider, or Mulled Wine. Then share them with someone or schedule a Zoom chat to discuss your latest recipes.
These are just a few great ideas for holiday connections. We look forward to hearing if you have other ideas as well! Plus we will be sharing new mini-guides with you as we move into the winter months ahead so you can make the most of your time at home!
Have an idea or topic for a mini-guide? Please share it by sending me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see if it is possible!