The season of giving is not over! This Tuesday is the National Day of Giving meant to encourage people to give back. This holiday is always the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. After spending the weekends shopping and finding the best deals through Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday discounts, Giving Tuesday is the day to give to those who are less fortunate.
Use this Giving Tuesday to help the less fortunate and show generosity. However, this doesn’t have to be something you do just one day a year!
What Can You Do for #GivingTuesday?
It’s simple! Take advantage of the holiday seasons and deals to add to your giving. You can join together with family, friends, colleagues, and organizations to truly give back to the community!
- Donate to a cause or organization that you support and get others to as well
- Collect non-perishable food and donate to a local food pantry
- Collect toys and donate them to a children’s hospital
- Buy toys to give to foster children for the holidays
- Give blankets to the homeless
- Donate to non-profit things around the house you aren’t using like old clothes, appliances, technology, or furniture.
If you can’t afford to spend extra right now, that’s not a problem! There are still lots of ways to give back through volunteering your time.
- Help tutor school children that need an extra hand. (Need to brush up on online tools to make that possible? Take Using Online Resources to Teach Children Remotely.)
- Send out thank you cards to people who have helped you! Or sign up to help an organization do this for their volunteers.
- Be a senior companion. Help give caregivers a break and share in special moments with seniors.
- Volunteer at your local Human Society caring for animals in need.
- Volunteer at your local food pantry.
- Volunteer at your local library!
- Volunteer to be a mentor.
- Volunteer to clean up parks and protect the environment.
Need additional help to get started? Sign up for a Social Hour - Volunteering to Improve Your Community and Yourself to trade ideas with other like-minded individuals interested in volunteering and giving back to the community.
Whether giving back is part of your regular routine or something special on Giving Tuesday, be sure to share the spirit of generosity with others!