Veterans Day is observed annually every November 11 since the end of World War I, when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on that day in 1918. Though it has only been recognized as an official US holiday since 1938.
Veterans Day is one day, of what should be many days, where citizens recognize those who have fought and continue to fight for the freedoms we have today, so we live in a world free from the wars of the past. A world slowly but surely striving toward more and more equality for all its members. It is a day to show appreciation and respect for the living active service members and those who have served before.
6 Ways To Show Your Respect and Appreciation to Veterans
- Fly a Flag. Show your appreciation by flying the American flag for our veterans just be sure to follow flag etiquette.
- Celebrate by Sharing or Listening to Stories. If you are a veteran get together with buddies or share with friends your stories. If you want to record them for family members or others you can learn how by taking a course to find the best medium to record your stories. If you know a veteran reach out to see if they are interested in sharing their story. That way you can learn something new about the service they performed.
- Attend a Veterans Day event. Attend a Veterans Day event, many are even virtual this year to show your appreciation and support veterans.
- Donate to Veterans. Many veterans need donations of food, clothing, or other items including money. If you have surplus consider donating to a veteran charity in your community.
- Visit a Veterans Hospital. Many veterans rely on hospital care after their service. Consider visiting the former service members there if that is possible in your area.
- Write a Letter to a Veteran. Consider writing a letter to a veteran. You can find out more about writing a veteran or service member on multiple different veteran sites. One such is A Million Thanks.
This country is a better place because of what dedicated veterans have done. The sacrifices they, their families, and loved ones have made is impressive be sure to show your appreciation!