Without the smartphone and social media, the classic selfie might not exist. While self-portraits have been around since artists first started painting them, the fun-filled selfies of social media are a modern trend. So trendy in fact, that the word was added to the Oxford Dictionary:
“selfie: a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media.”
While not everyone loves taking selfies, perhaps this national selfie day you might want to give it a shot and experiment with your first or millionth selfie and see where this silly holiday takes you.
Top Reasons To Take A Selfie
- No one is around you to take a picture of you and a cool background.
- To send a funny reminder of you to a friend or loved one.
- To capture something funny that has happened to you.
- To make sure you don’t have any food stuck in your teeth.
- To highlight a great hair day or outfit!
How To Take A Great Selfie
We have put together some simple tips that are sure to make your selfie-taking a success. Just follow these 5 simple steps to perfect selfies.
10 Selfies To Try Out
- Car Selfie - Take a picture of yourself with your car or someone else’s car (this works great next to a Ferrari or other unique car)
- Pet Selfies - Take a picture with your most beloved pet!
- Foodie Selfies - Share a picture of you with exotic food or a delicious dish you just cooked up!
- Glamour Selfie - Share the perfect picture of a favorite outfit or a really good hair day with others!
- Bestie Selfie - Take a picture of you with your best friend and share with the world!
- Gym Selfie - Make sure everyone knows you went to the gym or got in your exercise today with a gym selfie.
- Travel Selfies - Take a picture to highlight an exotic location that you are getting to tour for everyone to see.
- Baby Selfies - There have been a lot of babies born during COVID-19 so make sure when you get to see that brand new baby you get a selfie with them!
- Family Selfie - Capture moments with the whole family having fun with a family selfie.
- Celebrity Selfie - While the hardest selfie to get, if you happen to see a celebrity be sure to snap a selfie with them!
Need more tips and tricks to great selfies? Join a class on great selfie-taking with older adult peers on GetSetUp. Our Guide Scott will be sure that you learn how to take a selfie like a pro!How To Take A Great Selfie